What We Do:





WomenMATTA provide an intensive, holistic support service to women at risk of offending, women at risk of receiving custodial sentences and women who are released from custody after serving a sentence of less than 6 months.

We run a free drop in every Friday 1-4 where we provide a hot lunch, practical support (eg help with housing, benefits etc) and run a different activity each week. This is open to all women (18+) whether or not they are in the criminal justice system. The drop in is held at the Pankhurst Centre, 60-62 Nelson Street, Chorlton on Medlock, Manchester M13 9WP (in the MRI complex).

For more information please contact us on 0161 832 6544.

If you have anything you'd like to say or you would like to guest blog for us please let us know in the comments box or contact us (number above.)

Happy reading!


World Mental Health Day

Friday 14th October is World Mental Health Day. We have created a 'thought' tree which we will put up in the Pankhurst Centre to provoke discussion and debate and hopefully we will be able to dispel a few of the myths and negative stereotypes about mental health.

If you have experienced any mental health issues now or in the past, or if you work in the field of mental health and would like to share some of your thoughts or feelings on the subject, then just post your comments on this blog and we will add them to the tree.

16 comments:

  1. The most difficult phase of your life is not when no understands you; its when you don't understand yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m living under water. Everything seems slow and far away. I know there’s a world up there, a sunlit quick world where time runs like dry sand through an hourglass, but down here, where I am, air and sound and time and feeling are thick and dense. –Audrey Niffenegger, The Time Traveler’s Wife

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am tired. Tired of visits from mental health professionals who condescend and patronize. Tired of endless black days and changes in medication. Tired of feeling like a second class citizen, pitied or a figure of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't feel ashamed to talk Mental Health makes you wiser problems make you love longer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Coming here cheers me up it brings me out of myself, I get alot of help from the women not sympathy, hot drinks and nice food, and laughs and good company.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I say 'i'm fine'! actually I am not fine at all and I need help and support, but mostly someone to listen to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My thoughts of being stressed are something I dont like because it upsets me and makes me want to do bad things. So what I do when this happens is speak to someone and this helps me not to do bad things

    ReplyDelete
  8. Depression:- is a hard thing to love with, I know I lived with it all my life and so did my brothers and sister. As my mum was the one we lived with. There were good days but the bad days was hell for us kids and my dad. Things I could tell you about depression....................

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stigma............... Depression............. Abuse............ Vulnerability................

    ReplyDelete
  10. The stigma around cancer has been cracked, how can we break the stigma around mental health.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There needs to be more therapy available for everyone in need.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The road is long and sometimes bumpy..........step on the road and Il help you along.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My head races, I cant seem to pace my heart, I start to cry because I am scared of the fright. Talk to a doctor to help me sleep at night, nothing can make my head and heart right, its me that has to find the fight.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Being knowledgeable has help me with my mental health. Long journey.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cry hard and swim
    Don't give in
    Share your thoughts
    Don't be bought
    Give out what is real
    It's fine to feel
    Because you are special.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mental Health is nothing to feel ashamed off, if you talk about it you will get wiser.

    ReplyDelete