What We Do:





WomenMATTA provide an intensive, holistic support service to women at risk of offending, women at risk of receiving custodial sentences and women who are released from custody after serving a sentence of less than 6 months.

We run a free drop in every Friday 1-4 where we provide a hot lunch, practical support (eg help with housing, benefits etc) and run a different activity each week. This is open to all women (18+) whether or not they are in the criminal justice system. The drop in is held at the Pankhurst Centre, 60-62 Nelson Street, Chorlton on Medlock, Manchester M13 9WP (in the MRI complex).

For more information please contact us on 0161 832 6544.

If you have anything you'd like to say or you would like to guest blog for us please let us know in the comments box or contact us (number above.)

Happy reading!


Diane's Journey - How I changed My Life

How I changed my Life
 
I left a very bad relationship after 11yrs which made me lose my daughter and my home. I was sleeping on friends sofas for about a year before I moved to Direct Access. I had been addicted to drugs for twenty odd years. I felt there was no point in me living at that time there was no hope.

I first met Tina the WomenMATTA volunteer when she came to the Drop-In at Direct Access. I had no confidence and couldn’t make eye contact with her because I wasn’t used to speaking to people due to the violence at home. I found Tina was a similar age to me. But the best part was that she just listened and didn’t judge. Tina told me what benefits and support I could get and this made me feel better knowing there were people out there to help me.

Tina encouraged me to come to the Drop In at the Pankhurst Centre but I was very nervous as I had not been out anywhere. As soon as I went to the drop in, all the volunteers such as Jill and Steph all made me very welcome and straight away I felt part of the group. Tina and I then sat down and did a plan about getting me the right support and I got loads.

Now I have "Team Diane" where I have a group of people such as Tina, Jill, Dionne and Steph who all help with different things. I have been helped going to the doctors and help with speaking up. I now have a carer that comes in everyday to help me and I am waiting to be moved into a new home.

I have not used drugs since May last year. I feel amazing and for the first time more human. I realise I started because of the death of my two children. I was avoiding feeling anything and used to numb the pain. But then my life got out of control. I know if I ever start using again I will lose everything I achieved.
 
I love seeing all the volunteers and know that if I need anything they are always there for me. I also feel I have friends now that make me feel good about myself for the first time. I love the fact we hang out after the Drop In at the coffee shop where we spend our time just laughing.

For the first time in my life I feel I belong somewhere and know that I going to be ok because of all the support and friendship here.
I would say to any woman out there who is struggling with drugs I would say DO IT, THERES MORE TO LIFE THAN DRUGS!!!

2 comments:

  1. Wow ! What an incredible lady. I am sure that nothing can stop you now in your life. You have achieved so much already despite all the hardships. Good luck and God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an inspiring story. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete